Essential Vitamins - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)Tweet
Apr 20, 2016 , 6 min read
WHAT IS VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN) ?
Riboflavin or Vitamin B2 is one of the eight B Vitamins. The word “flavin” comes from the Latin word “flavus”, meaning yellow; therefore it is typically named after its colour
If the colour of your urine is very yellow, then, this suggests that there is excess Riboflavin in your system. It is a water soluble Vitamin. Like the other Vitamin Bs this one too helps in converting food into energy.
FUNCTIONS OF RIBOFLAVIN
· Works as an antioxidant in addition to metabolism.
· Recycles one of the most important antioxidants in the body known as Glutathione.
· Vitamin B2 is needed for a healthy liver, skin, hair, and eyes.
· It also helps the nervous system function normally.
· Riboflavin fights free radical cells and prevents the damage they cause.
· Red blood cell production is also one of the functions along with aiding in overall growth.
· Helps to change Vitamin B6 and folate into usable forms.
· Helps to maintain the mucus membrane along with Vitamin A.
SOURCES OF VITAMIN B2
The best sources of Riboflavin include:
· Brewer's Yeast
· Organ Meats
· Whole Grains
· Wheat Germ
· Wild Rice
· Brussels Sprouts
Did you know?
Riboflavin is destroyed by light and therefore, the food should be kept away from light in order to protect it from losing the nutrients. It can also be lost in water while boiling or heating and hence should be steamed or roasted to preserve the Riboflavin. Riboflavin is also best absorbed when taken between meals.
DEFICIENCY OF VITAMIN B2
· Slowed growth
· Digestive problems
· Cracks and sores around the corners of the mouth
· Swollen magenta-coloured tongue
· Eye fatigue
· Swelling and soreness of the throat
· Sensitivity to light
· Cracked lips
· Dry skin
· Iron-deficiency anaemia
· Inflammation of the tongue
There are no reports of vitamin B2 overdosing. Excess Riboflavin is excreted in the urine and it is not retained by the body.
CAUSES AND TREATMENT
· Poor diet
Treatment can be easily carried out with the help of supplements. Usually, deficiency occurs, more so, due to Vitamin B complex. So an overall look into the issue needs to be made.