Nagarmotha- A curing herbTweet
Sep 18, 2016 , 6 min read
Disease- This word has the power to scare the bravest of us. We sometimes become victims of diseases in the most unexpected manner and the first thing we would do is look for cure. Ayurveda comes in there. It literally means the Science of Life. Its concepts about health and disease promote the use of herbal compounds, special diets, and other unique health practices.
Ayurvedic texts talk about the concept of ‘ama’ which can be referred to as toxic materials produced in the body as a result of a faulty digestion. There is one herb, Nagarmotha that is described as the best ama-pachaka or remover of endo-toxins.
Nagarmotha- In detail:
- It has been described as bitter, pungent and astringent in taste and light dry and cold in effect.
- Owing to its woody fragrance with earthy and spicy hints, it is widely used in the field of aromatherapy.
- Vedic literature has mentioned it as an herb having hypnotizing property.
- The rhizomes (stem of a plant that is usually found underground, often sending out roots and shoots from its nodes) are used to make Nagarmotha oil which has a lot of medicinal values.
- Apart from Ayurveda, it is also used in Chinese medicine.
- It is used in making insect repellent creams.
- It is a prominent ingredient while preparing Chyawanprash.
The properties that makes this a medical marvel:
- Since Nagarmotha oil has anti-bacterial elements, massaging the body using this (combining with coconut oil or sesame oil), can help get rid of skin infections. It also helps in treating painful joints.
- Nagarmotha powder is an effective remedy to get rid of intestinal worms.
- It has been proven that Nagarmotha powder reduces blood sugar levels considerably, hence helping in the case of diabetes.
- Nagarmotha’s decoction is an effective cure for diarrhoea, fever, indigestion and useful in treating epilepsy.
- It also has a healing effect on wounds.
- It can help prevent body odour problem, if used along with bath powders.
- It is used in formulations preventing liver and lung diseases.
- Nagarmotha is also said to help in keeping obesity at bay.
Wouldn’t you agree if we say Ayurveda has answers to everything? Yes!