Vitamin Essentials: Vitamin B2Tweet
Apr 20, 2016 , 6 min read
BENEFITS OF VITAMIN B2
Vitamin B2, also known as Riboflavin, is one of the most important of the eight B-complex Vitamins.
The thing with Vitamin B2 is that it is needed regularly by the body as it is not stored in the body, as such, because it is a water soluble vitamin. An essential nutrient in a diet, Riboflavin plays an active role in many ways in the human body.
Some of the top benefits of Vitamin B2 are:
1. Metabolism: It helps convert food into energy.
2. Antioxidant: It controls and contains free radicals.
3. Red Blood Cells: It is an essential nutrient for the production of red blood cells and antibodies which increases circulation to various organ systems in the body. Also reduces the risk of anaemia.
4. Growth: Ensures growth of body tissues such as the skin, connective tissue, eyes, mucous membranes, nervous system and the immune system. It also ensures hair growth, health of skin and nails. Vitamin B2 also speeds up the process of wound healing as it is one of the main components of tissues and cells.
5. Immune system: Riboflavin helps the immune system functional properly by producing antibodies that fight diseases.
6. Healthy skin: With the ability to produce mucus, Riboflavin helps solve acne problem.
7. Nervous system: Vitamin B2 helps protect the nervous system and keeps many nervous system disorders at bay like anxiety, numbness and tingling, Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis.
8. Eyes: Essential for good vision and prevention of diseases like cataract.
9. Migraines: Prevents migraine attacks.
10. Mineral absorption: It helps in the absorption of minerals such as Iron, Folic Acid and other Vitamins such as B1, B3 and B6.
11. Thyroid: Helps regulate thyroid activity.
12. Digestion: Plays a major role in digestion by maintaining and protecting the mucus membranes.
ALWAYS REMEMBER: A well-balanced diet is a must if you want to ensure that your body gets enough of this essential vitamin, Riboflavin, as the body needs it regularly.