Want some of those Rich Sources of Antioxidants? Learn here!Tweet
Aug 29, 2016 , 6 min read
‘Antioxidants’ or ‘Foods rich in antioxidants’ are topics you can’t miss when you search for healthy foods. There will be many mentions of food rich in antioxidants and how important they are to the body.
The role of antioxidants-
The body converts food we intake into more meaningful molecules called nutrients that can be easily absorbed by a series of oxidative reactions which are essentially chemical reactions where oxygen plays an important role. Though oxidative reactions are very essential for the body, it produces certain undesirable by-products called free radicals which are highly reactive unstable compounds which attacks cells of the tissues to create various disease conditions and ageing.
Antioxidants are those compounds that bind to these free radicals and eliminate them from the system. In effect, they are shields of the body against those highly damaging free radicals. So it is only sensible that we add food that is rich in antioxidants to our diet. Luckily, antioxidant rich food is found in abundance around us and all that we need to do is include those items in our everyday diet.
So, our diet should include:
- Whole Grains– They are rich sources of antioxidants and minerals like Zinc and Selenium. So, use whole grain breads and brown rice instead of white rice.
- Fruits- Dried fruits like prunes and raisins are among the top sources of antioxidants. Fresh fruits like raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, cranberry, oranges, plums, cherries, grapes, apples all contain antioxidants in sufficient quantities and absorbable compositions.
- Vegetables- Like leafy greens including kale and broccoli, beetroot, onion, eggplant, lettuce, cauliflower.
- Beans- Like black beans, red beans and lentils like moong, arhar
- Beverages- Like green tea, organic tea, black tea
- Spices- As in turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, garlic, pepper
- Nuts- like almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts
- Milk products like milk, cheese
- Oils- Like sesame seed, bran, sunflower, wheat germ, corn, soybean oil
All these are food items that we are all familiar with and not something exotic. Include at least a portion of all categories in your daily diet and your body will take care of itself without any problems.
Do you know?
Antioxidant value of food is expressed by a term called ORAC which stands for ‘Oxygen Radical Absorbing Capacity’. The food item with highest ORAC value is ‘Prunes’ which are essentially dried plums which tops with a score of 5770 while those of fresh plums are 949.
Interesting! It’s time to stock-up on some free radical busters and add more antioxidants to your system!